Monday, April 23, 2007

GSoC 07 Book Club Selection: GEB

It's been a week, and the clear winner of the poll is Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (Amazon) , henceforth known as GEB. In the preface to the 20th anniversary edition, the author describes GEB as "a very personal attempt to say how it is that animate beings can come out of inanimate matter."

If you don't already have a copy, you still have at least a couple of weeks before we start. I'm presently working on a discussion schedule, and input is appreciated. One proposal made by Martin Harrigan is to read two chapters per week (for a total of 10 weeks). I think he's almost got it, but I'm thinking I'll spread out the longer chapters to take full advantage of the 12-15 weeks we have available (depending on the start date).

Update: Because of finals, I'm not going to get to this until Wednesday, sorry for the wait.

No comments: