Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Google Summer of Code 2007 with SymPy

My project proposal Python as a Symbolic Graphing Calculator with SymPy, PIL, and PyOpenGL has been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2007 under the patronage of the Python Software Foundation!

I'll be working with Ondrej Certik, who started the SymPy project, a CAS for Python. I wanted to contribute to the SymPy project for several reasons. Most importantly, I love Python. Even when I'm coding C#, C++, or Java I usually end up metaprogramming in Python much of the time. Secondly, I am a math student. SymPy is useful to me already, and it's only in version 0.3. I don't think I'm the only one who is unsatisfied with other CAS offerings. I think SymPy has a lot of potential, and I'm glad to be part of the team.

Once I get school over with, this project will have my full attention. I'll be updating the blog with my progress and anything interesting I find along the way. I'll also be writing about other summer projects, including my summer reading. More on this soon.

1 comment:

Jason G said...

I'm looking forward to your results Brian. Be sure to keep me in mind and up-to-date when coding. I'm doing the geometry module so it would be really nice to eventually plug that into your graphing library easily. For example, I would give you a series of points and you would draw lines connecting them, or I would give you equations which I assume you could work with easily.